Thanks for looking


All artwork for sale contact me by email karlsimpson1285@btinternet.com

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Patrick LaMontagne

About two years ago I contacted (by e-mail) an artist in Canada who had posted a piece about art on his blog and how he got started, and how he became an award winning Professional artist, Illustrator and editorial Cartoonist.
The piece really resonated with me and I emailed him and told him so. He was kind enough to reply and took a look at my blog and gave me some honest advice and critique. I was a little crestfallen but so glad that someone like him had taken the time and effort to send a lengthy e-mail and critique.

The points he raised were really spot on and I resolved to work harder. Patrick had asked me to send him anything else that I was proud of.

About  a year later I sent him some more work and again he took a look and pointed out a few issues and , Yep you guessed it , I got my head down and carried on working hard.

So last week I sent him two more paintings (the ones below) and this time he heaped the praise.
He may have been getting bored of me at this stage and just wanted to rid of me !!!

I asked if I could put the e-mails on my blog and he said no...I'm kidding he said yes.

This is what he wrote.....


Hi Karl:

Thanks for including our previous correspondence. I get a lot of email, but after reading it, I certainly do remember your work. Hard to believe that it's been two years since we first spoke. Thanks so much for sending your new work. You really have come a long way and it's so great that you're still working so hard at it. It shows! Both of these pieces are beautifully done and you should be very proud of them. It doesn't surprise me that you're getting commissions and I have no doubt this is just the beginning for you. PLEASE keep at it. You already had the talent, and you've obviously worked very hard at developing the skill to go with it. We all get better over time, and as good as your work was, and is now, you'll be even better later, especially if you continue doing exactly what you're doing.

Congratulations and well done. And thanks for taking the time to share your work with me and letting me know that I may have inspired you even just a little. That matters.

Best wishes for your future work.

Cheers,
Patrci

I Think he spelt his name like that so he can't be held responsible !!

As you can imagine I was gobsmacked then minutes later he sent this .......


Karl
I just went and looked at your blog and some of your other recent work. Fantastic stuff! You really have been working at it. I even posted a link to your blog on my Facebook page with the following text.

"A traditional artist contacted me a couple of years ago, asking for some advice and a bit of critique. I get that from time to time. He had the talent but needed a lot of improvement. I was encouraging but honest with him and he took it very well. A year later, he sent me some current work and the improvement was very evident. He asked for more critique. I gave it to him. Just yesterday, he sent me more work and I'm floored. This guy has been working his ass off to become a better artist, and while all of the credit goes to him, I'm pleased that my small part might have helped him just a little. We are all connected.


Take a look at Karl's blog. He's got some very nice stuff here."

he then posted a link to my blog.

If anyone needs me I'm on cloud 99 for the next few weeks ....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make any comment you wish they all help.